As unfortunate as it may be, toxic chemicals remain a big part of many industries. Even though many of these chemicals are no longer actively used, they still remain in structures throughout the country.
There are many causes of a herniated disk, such as attempting to lift an item that is too heavy.
If you mix chemicals in the workplace -- or if someone else does -- you could be exposed to toxic vapors and dangerous solutions. These can cause serious injuries and even death.
People have known about the risks of asbestos exposure for several decades. However, that has not stopped companies from using it in their products. While some forms of asbestos have been banned, it continues to be used in new products and, more often than not, found in old products like floor tiles or insulation.
Too many workers in Wisconsin continue to be exposed to toxic substances every day. Sometimes, people who are suffering the effects of exposure to a dangerous chemical don't link their symptoms to their workplace.
Manicures and pedicures are procedures that many people think of as pampering. For the salon workers who provide these services, staying safe while they work is a top priority that isn't always easy. Manicurists and pedicurists face very serious risks each day that they go to work.
Toxic substances pose a unique hazard in the workplace. Employers have a duty to make sure that they provide employees with the safety gear, procedures and knowledge they need to work as safely with these materials as possible.
Many Wisconsin employees are exposed to toxins at work. When workers are expected to perform jobs around hazardous chemicals, their employers should provide them with information about the toxins. Information about toxins and safe handling procedures is usually found in a 'Material Safety Data Sheet." An MSDS will tell workers about the health effects of a particular toxin, what protective equipment to use while working around it and how to safely dispose of it.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called for more protections for coffee workers and others who are working in the food industry. The CDC has warned that there is a potential for contracting deadly and permanent lung diseases in this industry because of exposure. What causes it? It's a chemical called diacetyl. This chemical is used when making popcorn, coffee and other food and beverages.
Chemical exposure can happen anywhere and at any job. For example, a teacher is exposed to chemicals when cleaning desks, and a chemist is exposed to chemicals as a part of his or her job. Chemical exposure can be very dangerous. While not all interactions with chemicals will lead to injury, those that do can lead to severe injuries or death.