What Should I Know About Testifying?
If you are preparing to testify in court, you may feel nervous. But this is not necessary if you know what you should do. At Mudge Porter Lundeen & Seguin, S.C., our attorneys have helped countless clients prepare to testify. These are some of the tips we have.
- Dress appropriately for court: Your appearance should not distract the judge, jury or other attorneys form your testimony. Wear clean, comfortable clothes that are appropriate for a courtroom.
- Always tell the truth: This is the single most important piece of advice. If you do not remember something, it is alright to say so.
- Prepare before court appearance: Before your court appearance, think about questions the attorney will probably ask you. Before responding, listen carefully to the entire question. If you do not understand a question, simply ask the attorney to repeat it or explain it. If you are not certain of an answer, make it clear that you are not certain, especially when the question involves distances or time.
- Answer truthfully and stick to the facts: Answer only the question that is asked of you. Don’t elaborate. If you can answer with a simple “yes” or “no,” you should do so.
- Relax and speak clearly: Speak loudly and clearly so the judge and other people in the court can hear you. Use spoken answers. Do not shake your head or answer with “huh, huh.”
Get More Advice About Testifying
The lawyers at Mudge Porter Lundeen & Seguin, S.C., can give you more advice in person about how to testify in court. You can schedule an initial consultation at our office in Hudson to speak with an attorney. To schedule, call us at 888-365-5389, toll-free at 888-365-5389 or send us an email.