Should you see a doctor after suffering an abrasion?

by | Oct 24, 2017 | Firm News |

It goes without saying that you will suffer many abrasions throughout your life. Even if you are careful at all times, it’s hard to avoid this altogether.

While some abrasions can be treated at home without professional help, this isn’t always the case. There are times when you need to call a doctor, such as in the following circumstances:

  • The cut is on your face
  • The edges of the cut are open or jagged
  • The cut is more than a quarter of an inch deep
  • You can see the muscle or the fat
  • You are unable to remove all the debris from the wound
  • The wound was caused by something rusty or dirty
  • The wound is a result of an animal bite
  • The area is numb

It’s easy to believe that you can treat an abrasion at home, but this is not always the case. There are times when it’s a must to see a doctor, as they’ll know what type of treatment can help speed up the recovery process.

If you suffered a serious abrasion at work, you should seek immediate medical treatment. You should also let your employer know how the accident occurred.

Once you consult with your medical team, you’ll have a better understanding of the type of treatment you require. You can also discuss the recovery phase.

If you are told to stay away from work for an extended period of time, you’ll want to relay this to your employer and file a claim for ‘ benefits. The money you receive will put your mind at ease as you make your recovery.

Source: Web MD, “How to Treat Minor Cuts and Scrapes,” accessed Oct. 24, 2017


FindLaw Network