A bar exploded in Wisconsin, and the blast was big enough to destroy surrounding businesses. It all happened while workers were trying to put in fiber communication lines. Through some mistakes in what information they were given, they did not know where the gas main was located, and they hit it. The gas blew up the bar and sent a fireball soaring skyward.
It was a sudden and horrific explosion, and at least three firefighters got hurt in the blast. One volunteer firefighter passed away. Now, the families involved have decided to open up lawsuits.
Early reports claim that the worker who was supposed to mark the natural gas line failed to do so. At the time, the investigation started looking to see if that could lead to homicide charges. Eventually, though no one denied that it was a tragic event, they determined that it was not a criminal matter.
That does not mean it can’t be a civil matter. That family still lost a loved one. The other firefighters still ended up needing emergency treatment and suffering injuries because of someone else’s mistake. Both of those firefighters and the widow of the man who died started these cases to seek compensation.
To some degree, it’s amazing that the death toll wasn’t higher. It appears that the blast was big enough to destroy a home and a total of six businesses if you include the bar where the man passed away.
After a workplace incident that leads to serious injuries or death, those involved need to make sure they know all of the legal options they have.